Center for Women's Studies (CWS) was established in 2001 as a scientific and research center in order to identify, evaluate and present solutions to the issues regarding Iranian women. With the approval of the Board of Directors, CWS also started training master students in the field of Women's Studies in 2004, which has resulted in training over 60 graduates. The center is now located at the central campus of the University of Tehran as an independent interdisciplinary educational-research institute. The primary constitution of this center has been signed as an agreement between the University of Tehran and the presidential Center for Women's participation affair (currently named: the Deputy of Women and Family Affairs).
CWS aims to:
- Diagnose women's problems in Iran
- Deliver research regarding women and family
- Help to expand and deepen science, considering gender differences
- Make arrangements and communications between policy making centres in the field of women and the Higher Education System
- Explain the status of Iranian women and anticipate changes ahead
- Institutionalizing research in different areas of women's studies and publish the results to promote social awareness regarding women's issues in Iran and in the world
- Perform comparative studies about women and analyze thoughts in the domains of religion, law, family, etc.
- Take necessary steps to expand women-oriented education